Wednesday, May 2, 2012

123 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 2 DAY OUT OF 31, EXERCISE


NEAR CROMWELL MAY 2007
WE LIVED IN THE OLD PURPLE BUS FOR 6 MONTHS
SOUTH ISLAND SCENERY IS ALWAYS WONDERFUL, STUNNING AND BEAUTIFUL



My slow cooker yoghurt was an epic fail. Not certain why but maybe my culture wasn't active enough, or maybe I didn't use enough since I didn't measure, thinking I had excellent active yoghurt. Will have another go in a couple of weeks after checking out the yoghurts available more carefully.

All was not lost. I decided to turn the slightly sweet liquid into custard. John likes custard and it's his standard use for milk that's getting close to use by date.

It was too much for now considering we are going away on Friday and may not be home for a week. I'll explain more later. I emptied 1/3rd into a saucepan and divided the rest into two containers to freeze.

I mixed the custard powder and sugar while I heated the 'different' milk. Just before it reached boiling point the milk curdled. Hmmm! What to do now? I had the cheese cloth and colander all set up to turn the 'yoghurt' into Greek Yoghurt so I emptied the curdled mess into that. An hour or so later I tipped the 'cream cheese' into a bowl. There was about 1/2 cup. Iit tastes a little bland but has no seasoning yet. I think it will go well anywhere I can use cream cheese. The whey went back into my saucepan and I gently heated it adding the previously mixed custard powder, sugar and 'different' milk in and stirred gently for 3 minutes. Voila! Custard! It's bright yellow, slightly translucent, tastes sweet with a hint of yoghurt. I think the man will like it. I can imagine it going well with fruit and he has several cans in the pantry.

No yoghurt. But we do have 3 serves of custard and 1/2 cup of cream cheese and enough in the freezer to make it twice again.

After all that I decided to cook bacon and eggs for my breakfast and leave the tiny bit of yoghurt i do have left for tomorrow's breakfast. I have a hair appointment tomorrow afternoon so can get fresh yoghurt then.

On Friday we are going to Pauanui to stay 2 nights with people we met for a few minutes on the street in Thames a week ago. They aren't true strangers because this was arranged by mutual friends. Saturday lunch is a celebration of our friends 50th Wedding Anniversary and we will stay so I, at least, can go to church on Sunday morning. Hamish Snook is home from Toronto, Canada for his parents celebration and will be preaching. It will be so good to have a taste of Catch The Fire live.

We have to come home Sunday afternoon and stay at Mum's house because Jane will be away and the cats need to be cared for. I think we'll be at Mum's until the weekend so that covers us for a few days. It will be a bit of a challenge to stay wheat free all that time but I'm hoping I can manage it. I've just read that it takes about a week for your metabolism to get over a wheat hit. But that's not all! It can take more than 6 months to recover from wheat damage.

I thought I was doing so well being mainly wheat free for 4 months, and I have,  but now I need to ramp it up and expect the results to be slow in coming. The skin problems I have are barely controlled and I really want my healthy scalp back. I was considering going dairy free but I think I'll give the wheat another 6 months before I eliminate another food. Smoothies just wouldn't be the same without milk. I know there are alternatives but I'm not ready to give up my yoghurt and I am definitely not going with soya products.

Breakfast:- Bacon and eggs

Lunch:- My cream cheese on red capsicum. Small serve custard.

Tea/Dinner:- Meatloaf and mushrooms

Snacks:- almonds

Drinks:- Water x 0
Flavoured teas x 4

Daily Goal:- 1.5 lt or 5-6 large cups */no*

Exercise:- Walk or Cross-trainer *yes*

I could have stayed in bed all day but I did get up and decided to do the time on the cross-trainer differently today. As many sessions of 10 minutes as I can manage. As a result I was able to go quite a lot faster.

10 minutes = 2.5 km

I aim to walk or cross-train 5 km or more each day this month plus....

1 x 60 min. cross-trainer or walk 6 km
2 x
3 x

8.5/160 km for May

I am going to do the stretching exercises in my Jenny Craig book. I did them many years ago and found them easily do-able for me. My goal is to eventually stretch every day.

Stretching 2 x week.
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4

I am getting fitter, stronger, improving my stamina and flexibility.
Has to be good. Right!

Reporting Back ..............

Tired

HOW DID I DO?

I did OK. Only the one 10 minute session on the cross-trainer. Just wasn't up to any more so call it a rest day.



1ST MAY 7.30 am:-  94 kg/ 206.5 lbs

Start weight check:- 114.5 kg/251 lb

Weight loss 
January:- 10.5kg/23 lbs 
February:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
March:- 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
April:- 3 kg/ 6.5 lbs


TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS FOR 2012:- 20.5 kg/ 45 lbs 

Next Official Weigh-in June 1st


2 comments:

  1. Too funny. Margie, I think you made yogurt cheese with your different milk.

    My guess is that your milk wasn't warm enough for the yogurt culture to, well, culture. Once you heated it--blammo!--the yogurt bacteria took. Although, I'm surprised you didn't kill the culture with the near boiling.

    As far as the amount of yogurt you added, you only need 6 to 8 Tablespoons per half gallon.

    I left you a long reply on my blog to your comment.

    I hope your trip goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow never made Yogurt before. Keep at it!! Sounds fun! Have fun on your trip!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete