Friday, April 20, 2012

A VIDEO AND A HEALTHY DIET DISCUSSION


MATARANGI SHOPPING CENTRE
POOK'S CONVENIENCE STORE, 2 REAL ESTATE AGENTS, PIPER'S CAFE, KELLY'S HARDWARE/DIVE SHOP

111 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 13 DAYS OUT OF 30, CROSS-TRAINER OR WALKING

1ST MARCH 
WEIGHT:-     7.30 am - 100.5kg/221lbs

2ND APRILWEIGHT:-  7.30 am - 97 kg/213.4 lbs



Start weight check was 114.5 kg/251 lbs.



Official weight loss for January is 10.5 kg/23 lbs.
Official weight loss for February is 3.5kg/7.5 lbs
Official weight loss for March is 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
Total weight loss for 2012 is 17.5 kg/38.5 lbs

Next official weigh-in May 1st.

Oh Wow! Legacy Five have released a video on YouTube. I love this group. 

We discovered them by accident ... a God thing, on our drive across the States from Miami to Los Angeles when we stopped at Osage, Beach, Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and went to a Gospel Concert. We hadn't planned to go to Lake of the Ozarks but John suddenly felt he couldn't drive on to our destination. We pulled into a crummy Motel near Boonville, Missouri, and I was very upset. Once I'd calmed down I realised we needed to take a proper break from travelling even though we'd just had two nights in Fayette, Indiana. Lake of the Ozarks was a short drive from our overnight stop so that's where we went. 

While John was booking into the Motel I noticed a sign on the window announcing a Gospel Festival at the Memorial Hall. This Hall was just across the road from our Motel and we thought it a great opportunity to see live Gospel singing, thinking it would be Afro-American singers. Little did we know we would be totally wowed by this group who played the second half of the first concert. 

We ended up going to all three concerts in the festival. What a privilege to hear this traditional style and the faith of Southern Gospel Singers. The following year we designed our itinerary around their concert in Chatanooga.... which was not quite such a success because of sound problems but we did enjoy Tennessee. My background is Presbyterian and I now attend Pentecostal churches and enjoy modern church songs but this Gospel style of music always touches my heart. 



Breakfast:-  Water. Strawberry tea. Smoothie

Snack 1:-  Strawberry tea

Lunch:-    Left-over pork and leeks, kumera and cheese to boost the protein since there wasn't much pork left.

Snack 2:-  Strawberry tea, almonds and a piece of cheese. 

I don't think I was hungry but I felt snacky. Was this because I had more carbohydrates at lunch? Or could it have been I just didn't have my normally nutritious lunch? I don't have an answer but nor do I think any harm was one. After this snack I forgot about food, meaning my appetite was satisfied until after 6 pm.

Dinner:-  2 eggs, bacon and salad with dressing. 

Snack 3:-  Strawberry tea.

Drinking:-  Water x 2
Strawberry and Mango Tea, etc x 4

Daily Goal:-  1.5 lt. or 5 - 6 large cups *yes/no*

Exercise:-  15 minutes walk or cross-trainer *yes*

55 minutes on cross-trainer = 5.5km
short walk to shops
I am aiming to walk or cross-trainer 3 km or more each day this month.

39.5/90 km for April 

Reporting Back ..........


In between other things I've continued to read the blog Fat Head. I'm not sure that I agree with him in every way but I do have to say I am really confused by the official food pyramid and the emphasis on carbohydrates. 

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that natural foods are best. I believe in whole milk, and other dairy products, fresh meat, free range poultry, (I just wish it was a little cheaper), fresh fruit and veggies. I believe that we should be eating whole eggs, the whole fruit, not sugar rich juice. That as far as possible we should be cooking from scratch in our own homes. Convenience foods are fine but not everyday food just as sweets and deserts should be are treats.

I have experienced the damage carbohydrates do to me and I feel very sad that it has taken me 37 years to finally accept that I need to make a permanent change. I have almost eliminated wheat, grains are now uncommon food, added sugar is unusual except maybe a pinch now and then to enhance flavour, just as I use some salt and lots of freshly ground pepper. 

I never completely bought into the low fat story because I could look back on how my grandparents ate, and they were far from being health nuts. I'm glad I wasn't sucked into those lies, for that's what I believe they were.

As I've read and followed some of the science, as much as I could without my eyes rolling back in my head, I understand how carbohydrates have had a negative impact on my health. I consider myself intelligent, more so than many, yet it has taken me 37 years of reading and study to reach this place. 

How I long for the science of insulin resistance to become part of the general psyche.  How I long for acceptance of the value of whole foods, the danger of sugar, the importance of eating sufficient protein including meat, and warnings about the danger of a diet based on carbohydrates.

I don't want to be considered a health nut. I don't want to be one of those freaky people who are always going on about carbohydrates. I don't want to be a diet bore. On the other hand I am not the person I could be because I spent too many years dithering about something as simple as eating a 'stone-age diet' instead of the conventional one full of cereal and breads.

I'm glad that at the ripe old age of 72 years and 10 months I've finally come to a place where I believe in what I'm doing and can no longer be swayed by the current mind-set of the medical profession, nutritionists and even some scientists.

This is a very long post but I wanted to record some of my frustration with myself and mind-sets that make it so hard to follow my own beliefs. I feel like a fish that always ha travels up-stream against the current.


How did I do?

This is very strange. I am satisfied with how I managed today. I don't want to become complacent. That's one reason I'm reading Fat Head.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the comment on my blog tonight.

    I have just left a comment on Lynda's blog.... in response to her post today, and her use of comments left on MY BLOG.

    Can you tell me what you think of my comment? I'm not sure if she will appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - I also don't want to be a low carb crazy person but via my blog is the only place I can try to educate people who want to know this stuff. I don't go on to people in everyday life - just those who read my blog. It is true that when you find out about the science behind all of this you just want to share it but it is hard to not come across too strong (well for me it is hard).

    You won't see the comment Chris is talking about because I deleted it all :) It was not getting nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I have come via Lynda's blog and I wanted to say that I find it inspirational/motivating reading your journey. Like you I have struggled with what is considered the "normal" way of eating and kept thinking something isn't working here. Thanks to Lynda and her blog with it's mountain of information I decided to try it out for myself and my husband. Woo hoo......it worked. I do lots of reading and can only see our health becoming what it should have been all those years ago. At 67 & 64 our blood pressures are the lowest they have been since our 30's, my pain from Fibromyalgia & arthritis is gone meaning I no longer rely on pain meds to get through the day and my acid reflux has all but gone. With results like these in only 3months who wouldn't want to change their lifestyle. I guess at our age we don't care what others think, we just do our best and what is right for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again.......if you would like to read my blog email me at jeans4me at xtra dot co dot nz and I will send you an invite. I do blog but it's private :)
    No worries if you don't :)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the video, loved the post.

    I'm going to see if I can add some of the songs from this group to my playlist. :)

    As far as your conclusions re: diet. Yes. I so identify with much of what you wrote. I realized a couple of decades ago that low-carb worked for me and I found out a couple of years ago, if that, that I'm gluten intolerant.

    The problem is that i keep telling myself that it's just my imagination...Most mainstream nutrition/health people are certain that this whole low carb thing is wrong, after all. And I soooo love carbs. :}

    So, I keep deciding and undeciding--and suffering the consequences for my stubbornness. So foolish.

    loretta and I were talking the other day about just needing to accept the fact that sugar and gluten free, low carb eating is what is best for me. I so fight surrender.

    Thanks for this post.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete