Saturday, April 21, 2012

112 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - 13 DAY OUT OF 30, CROSS-TRAINER OR WALKING


HIBISCUS BESIDE OUR DECK
THIS SHRUB STRUGGLES TO SURVIVE IN OUR POORLY DRAINED GARDEN

1ST MARCH 
WEIGHT:-     7.30 am - 100.5kg/221lbs

2ND APRILWEIGHT:-  7.30 am - 97 kg/213.4 lbs



Start weight check was 114.5 kg/251 lbs.



Official weight loss for January is 10.5 kg/23 lbs.
Official weight loss for February is 3.5kg/7.5 lbs
Official weight loss for March is 3.5 kg/7.5 lbs
Total weight loss for 2012 is 17.5 kg/38.5 lbs

Next official weigh-in May 1st.

There's been some nasty comments and unhappy reactions in my little corner of Blogland. The following is an up-dated version of a comment I made on another Blog.

 For some weird reason there are people who react strongly to any suggestion that restricting carbohydrates is good let alone healthy. The only time I have been personally affected by another person's on-line comments was a long time back. 

This person took it into her head to tell me how unhealthy it was to reduce carbohydrates in my diet. A great debate ensued. I gave up when I realised I was up against mind set like a brick-wall.

For goodness sake! I felt more energetic, my brain was sharper, the muscle and joint pain went away and the irritation in my stomach healed so that I no longer had any acid reflux. I think this was the healthiest I'd been in years but I let this person's negative attitude and arguments undermine my confidence. 

Today I pay the price for my weak-mindedness, but not any longer as I become healthy once more. 

It's really important not to undermine someone. 

Information is part of the learning process and there's nothing wrong with questioning that information, but when we attack someone we should ask why do we do it? Is it out of fear? Are we afraid the other person is right? Does it challenge our thinking? Are we afraid we might have to change something?

All too often the anti-low-carb comments are derogatory, critical and sometimes vitriolic. This helps no-one, least of all the writer. 

It's so easy to attack someone with the anonymity of the internet. I think I feel kind of sorry for those who do. It can't be fun living with a mind full of this kind of aggression and nastiness. Thank-goodness most people are full of encouragement.

I'm becoming a determined low-carber. Or to put it another way, a person who lives on animal proteins, veggies and fruits with the occasional, rare, addition of grains and/or a pinch of sugar. "I eat food I like." I guess that's the name of my diet plan. 

Already I am seeing some of the benefits of my choice of diet. I can't remember when I last experienced acid reflux, arthritic pains have all gone and my energy levels are rising. I've been able to reduce some of my blood pressure and diuretic medication. Not long ago my fingers hurt, my back ached, my knees ached.... I was reluctant to walk far. 

I still have a long way to go. 

I expect to write about more of the hoped-for improvements in a couple of months. I do find that my body is slower to respond now that I'm older but I have lost weight this month and expect to be able to register a 2kg loss by the end of the month. 

When I comment I try to be first of all kind, honest and encouraging. If I think a person needs advice I try to not be directive. I try to give a personal example and leave the person room to consider it and remain free to make their own decision.

None of us know all of another persons circumstances. We are inter-net acquaintances, who sometimes become close friends. It would be wise to only leave the kind of comment you would say to someone's face, always remembering that words can be misunderstood when your face isn't visible. *smile*


Breakfast:-  Water.Strawberry tea. Plain yoghurt with dried apricots and blueberries, almonds etc. Very tasty. 

I toasted, in a frypan with a tiny piece of butter, a few roughly chopped almonds, walnuts, whole sunflower, and pumpkin seeds.

Snack 1:-  None

Lunch:-  Dips and crudites, camembert. Strawberry tea  

Snack 2:-  None

Dinner:-  The last of the cold roast beef with salad and dressing.

Snack 3:-  Strawberry tea.

Drinking:-  Water x 1
Strawberry and Mango Tea, etc x 4

Daily Goal:-  1.5 lt. or 5 - 6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:-  15 minutes walk or cross-trainer *no*

I am aiming to walk or cross-trainer 3 km or more each day this month.

39.5/90 km for April 

Reporting Back ..........

Seemed to feel tired all day. Was it because I changed my morning routine slightly by staying in bed later than usual to finish a book? Or was it taking the full dose of Felidopine, (BP med). I suspect the latter so will stick with the lower dose which is what I was on before all the kerfuffle about a suspected stroke. 

We went over to Mum's and spent a nice afternoon with our daughter, my sister and her daughter who are up for the weekend. This is the first time I've gone out in 10 days.

wonder how long before I stop calling the Simpsons Beach house, Mum's house. It's one week short of 3 months since Mum died.

How did I do?

Apart from no exercise and falling asleep after tea  another good day. I'm wide awake now and it's time to go to bed, 


4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've decided not to allow those naysayers to influence you at all. I agree... we should ask questions, and get available information, but some people refuse to accept even hard science. Glad you are feeling better!

    About Mum's house... I know for me, I forever think of the Oregon coast as the place where my Mom and Dad lived. It's just connected... it's all bound up with memories. I suspect you will probably always think of that house as Mum's house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel guilty by ASSOCIATON here.
    I have never made derogatory comments about who someone chooses to eat.
    Just wanted to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel that Chris. I know this furore began with mint sauce but the subject of criticism is really quite serious. I was talking about faceless people, sometimes anonymous but not always, who can't tolerate it when someone chooses a different way to what they believe is right.

      I know you are not one of those people. Definitely not anonymous or faceless. *smiles* I know that you limit carbohydrates so why would you criticise anyone who chooses low carb?

      At the same time I do appreciate the support I have from Lynda too. It's nice to have found a supportive community of Low-Carbers. I need all the encouragement I can find. This could be my last chance to get well.

      You are doing a great job, especially considering your general family compexities.

      Lots of love coming your way.

      Blessings

      Delete
  3. I meant WHAT someone chooses to eat!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete