Friday, March 30, 2012

49TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

4 YEARS AGO WILL TRY TO GET AN UPDATE TODAY 

 90 DAYS MAINLY WHEAT FREE - NO DAYS NO COFFEE - 14 DAYS OUT OF 31 WALKING

1ST FEBRUARY WEIGHT:-  7.30 am  - 104 kg/228 lbs
1ST MARCH WEIGHT:-     7.30 am - 100.5kg/221lbs



Start weight check was 114.5 kg/251 lbs.



Official weight loss for January is 10.5 kg/23 lbs.
Official weight loss for February is 3.5kg/7.5 lbs
Total weight loss for 2012 is 14kg/30.5 lbs




Next official weigh-in April 1st.


Feeling so much better today. I dropped the increased medication yesterday morning, had a restful day and then missed my evening medication. The last was not intentional but I forgot until it was too late at night. Better to skip a dose than end up over medicated again. 


I know it's not the best to tinker with medication but I am definitely not going to take the increased dose of felodipine, (or plendil 2.5mg), for the next few days. I have learned so much about blood pressure and I'm convinced there is a tendency to over prescribe medication. My doctor was quite relaxed about my blood pressure until she thought I'd had a small stroke. I believe a healthy BP is somewhere around 150/80 for my age. For some reason recent guidelines suggest it should be closer to 120/80 hence increased medication to achieve the ideal goal. I have been very casual about the numbers until now, thinking I could trust the medical people to do worrying. Now I'm not so sure.


My symptoms look less and less like a small stroke. Had the facial paralysis been caused by an event in my brain it would have to be very small to affect me in the limited the way it has and I would expect those symptoms to have reduced over the last 6 weeks. In fact the opposite has happened. The paralysis has become more confirmed and continues to be limited to one side of my face. This is more typical of Bells Palsy, It is thought that an inflammatory condition leads to swelling of the facial nerve. The nerve travels through the skull in a narrow bone canal beneath the ear. Nerve swelling and compression in the narrow bone canal are thought to lead to nerve inhibition, damage or death. No readily identifiable cause for Bell's palsy has been found.from Wikipedia. There is a lot of information in other places including the probability that it is caused by a virus such as herpes simplex or cold sores, the bane of my life when my body came under stress. The prognosis is 'a maybe' although many people lose the majority of symptoms over a 12 month period. I am hopeful.


Bells Palsy is diagnosed by ruling out the possibility of stroke and or brain tumour. I am having tests on April 10th and 11th which will settle these questions.... I hope. Meantime I will follow my doctor's instructions as best I can. I am not a medical person although I had some training and exposure as a young person. My conclusions could be wrong but it's my body and I know how it feels, which is not always easy to describe until I see the symptoms listed and recognise them as something I am experiencing. 



Pre-Breakfast:-  Water.


Breakfast:-  Water.Strawberry tea. smoothie = 20gm carb.


Snack 1:-  Strawberry tea

Lunch:-   Restaurant lunch. It's a lovely day so we walked across the road to the small shopping centre and had lunch at Peppers Cafe. I had a cappuccino with sugar, and Morrocan flavoured chicken salad. I couldn't eat it all so John finished it off. John had seafood chowder with buttered toast. So I did well. Probably = 14gm carb or even less.

Snack 2:-  None, strawberry tea

Dinner:-  Bacon Omelet, carrot, broccoli, lettuce, tomato, dressing = 9gm carb. tea.

Snack 3:-  Water



Carbohydrates:-  43 grams  




Drinking:-  Water x 0
Strawberry and Mango Tea, etc x 0

Diet lemonade x 0
Cappuccino coffee x 0

Daily Goal:-  1.5 lt. or 5 - 6 large cups *yes/no*

Exercise:-  15 minutes walk *yes/no*


I am aiming to walk 3 km or more each day this month.


48/93 km for March 

Reporting Back ..........

We enjoyed having lunch in the Cafe and I've wasted away the day looking for a photo.  Neither of us felt like a proper dinner so got our own according to what we each wanted. That was our day.

I believe some of our family might want to do something special for our 50th anniversary next year. I don't want to put on a brave face for a family gathering so I think John and I should save up and make other plans. Maybe we should take a mini cruise around New Zealand. I know John would like that.

How did I do?

Not bad except for no exercise. Even so I'm ready for bed.

3 comments:

  1. Happy 49th Wedding Anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I think that's a grand idea for your 50th :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a wonderful anniversary!
    And I agree, for such a special occasion as your 50th, I'd do whatever YOU want to celebrate. A cruise... sounds divine. :-)

    ReplyDelete