Friday, January 27, 2012

DAY 27 - 25TH DAY WHEAT AND GLUTEN FREE - 15TH DAY NO COFFEE

DSC04669

Weight:-  7.30 am  - ?


My last weight check was 114 kg/251 lbs. Next check Jan. 31st.


Mum is failing. Her pulse has been extremely low for a while. She is in bed and her heart is not beating as strongly as it has been. None of us know what this really means but we will be at her place all day today. Jane, our daughter and the nurse, is at work.


Over at A Deliberate Life, Chris has begun a 100 day challenge. I'm not part of the official challenge but thought I'd go along on the quiet.


Part of the challenge is to answer a question every 10 days.


Question 1. "Why do you want to lose weight." 


I thought I'd take a moment or two to answer this today.
My first response is I need to improve my health.
I guess at this stage of life that remains my only response. Everything else is a bonus.

Breakfast:-  Berry Smoothie.  water

Snack 1:-  2 corn thins with peanut butter

Lunch:-  Strawberry  tea. ham, coleslaw, tomato, cucumber and brie salad. Eskimo pie (icecream) x 2

Snack 2:-   Strawberry tea, 

Dinner:-  Chicken, salad and spoonful of fish pie.
Strawberry tea

Snack 3:-  Camomile tea.  4corn thins and peanut butter

Drinking:-  Water x 2
Strawberry and Mango Tea, etc x 4
Coffee, black, unsweetened x 0

Diet lemon, lime & bitters x 0

Daily Goal:-  1.5 lt. or 5 - 6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:-  15 minutes walk *yes* Still struggling but at least I'm doing it and I know it will get easier.
5 minutes cross-trainer *no*

Reporting Back ..........

How I did I do?


Apart from eating 2 eskimo pies, (chocolate coated icecreams), I've done well.


Mum has probably had an embolism ... bubble of air where it should not be. It has affected her similarly to having a stroke. The family is gathering around her and we are preparing ourselves..... but Mum could wake up fresh and able to talk freely. The biggest thing is hydration. At present she is unable to drink. She is quite capable of making decisions and has made it clear she wants to stay at home. I think we can manage but we do have the local Community Hospital to back us up. Jane, being a Community Nurse, has access to all the best help and information possible. We are very fortunate in this.


It feels kind of strange to be gathering waiting to see what will happen next. I expect to go home to Matarangi later but Jane is expecting someone to sit with Mum through the night. I might need to stay and do my shift. 


Dying shouldn't be this hard but the truth is that some people die quietly in their beds and others have drawn out and sometimes painful times. 


Later. We are home and I'm glad to be out of it. It's nice to be quiet in our own little space. All afternoon I couldn't see Mum recovering, then tonight before we left she seemed a lot better. There will still be someone sitting with her through the night and if we don't get a call we'll be back there about 10.30am. Twice I was asked if I knew what Mum wanted in the way of a funeral. I'll have to find the hymn book Mum listed her favourites in.


Jane tells me that after an incident such as this one most people only live a few months and this will be followed by other incidents. How I wish she could be saved the indignity and suffering.


It's been an emotional day. I'm looking forward to my bed.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you've been having such a hard go of it for so long--on so many fronts. I'm glad you were able to get to your own home for some rest.

    Prayers.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to read that you are going through yet another stressor, Anne. And the wait and see part, yes... having gone through that with my Mom's passing, it's hard. I will lift you up to our Father, for strength and comfort; and also for your Mum.
    {{{hugs}}}

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't envy your situation at all. I watched my mother die over a few months (from cancer) and oh, how I wished her suffering could have been shortened. You mother is very old and obviously getting weaker and I suspect that her time will be near - just hard for everyone concerned.

    ReplyDelete