Friday, January 20, 2012

DAY 20 - 18TH DAY WHEAT AND GLUTEN FREE - 8TH DAY NO COFFEE

DSC04669

Weight:-  7.30 am  - ?


My last weight check was 114 kg/251 lbs. Next check Jan. 31st.


I'm proud of the numbers stacking up on my title. I'll keep them on the title until the item mentioned reaches 28 consecutive days,which is on the way to setting a new habit. After that I will include that item maybe with a ticker within each post so as not to clutter the headings too much. I'll see. I'd love to weigh myself to see if there is any difference but I'm a little paranoid about weighing first thing in the morning so until our guests go that's not going to happen.


SOAPBOX


Without wanting to be judgemental about bariatric surgery, it is something that bothers me greatly. Personally I am against surgery unless there is a sound medical reason and it is the only way to bring healing. Surgery is invasive and carries so many risks, some of which are obvious others may not be. 


Personally I will never choose a major surgical intervention unless it is a life or death issue. Partly this decision is made on past experience. There has been no anaesthetic or post operative care where the promise of minimised after affects have been acceptable for me. I seem to have a bad reaction to all the forms of anaesthetic commonly used and on the last two or three times I had a general anaesthetic it was almost a year before I felt as though I had recovered from the anaesthetic. That was long after I had recovered from the surgery itself.


The last time I had surgery with general anaesthetic was nearly 20 years ago and it was to do with damage from acid reflux. Had I understood some of the things I know now about my body there might have been another way .... without surgery.


I have since discovered that when I don't eat wheat products or a diet high in carbohydrates I don't ever experience pain and odd spots on my abdomen which are tender now, become normal. I accept that 20 years ago there was not the general knowledge available about wheat but I don't think that excuses the general medical profession ignoring the knowledge that was kicking around in their arena back then. Most medical people in New Zealand continue to promote a diet based on carbohydrate grains. Although many sports people have found that this is not the best diet for them, still the myth goes on, that we must load up on carbohydrates. 


Had I been told that my symptoms could be alleviated or even the cause healed by going wheat free for 6 - 12 months I would have tried it. At that time there seemed to be a degree of hysteria surrounding a low carb diet or a low grain or alternative grain diet. It is possible the damage done where the oesophagus meets the stomach had gone past the point of no return but it would have been a worthy experiment. That surgery, which was low impact, being done by laser, knocked me around for more than six months and it was almost a year before I felt like myself. Initially my blood pressure spiked seriously. Previous to that time I had normal blood pressure. I suffered severe nausea and took a mixture of drugs to prevent vomiting. I also had serious breathing problems post surgery. It was horrible. 


My second reason for questioning the need for surgery is this. To qualify a person must go on a restricted weight loss diet and maintain a certain style of eating following the surgery. If this can be done for surgery why can the person not work toward finding a place where they can continue to lose weight? The post surgery diet is not easy and many people fail after a time. Is this any different to regular weight loss diets? 


I only personally know one person who has had bariatric surgery and after several years he remains a big man although obviously he does not eat quite the same quantities he did previously nor is he quite as large. Granted he is less obese than he would be without the surgery but I understand he may have occasional, related health issues several years after.


Of the Blogs I read I see three people are getting ready for bariatric surgery. I will not comment on their personal decision because they have each one done the research and are confident it is the only way forward for them. It takes courage to make this decision and I admire that. Bariatric surgery is not for scaredy cats.


I get the appearance and health issues around being obese and more so being morbidly obese. I know how restricting physically it is to be overweight let alone the heavier categories. I understand the danger of being a yoyo dieter and I do believe there are a few people who struggle to lose weight even on low calorie diets. 


I also know without a doubt that anyone who has an excess weight problem has other issues which they are trying to hide with fat. They can be adamant about liking food too much but there is always more to consistently over indulging than their enjoyment of presentation, taste, smell, texture, atmosphere etc. 


If someone cannot be faithful when they make a determined effort to change their habits and lose weight the hidden issues need to see the light. I'm sure that anyone undergoing bariatric surgery is aware of this. Perhaps the greatest plus with bariatric surgery is the opportunity to join in an on-going support group backed by professionals, where one can learn to deal with 'Issues.'


I have become well aware of my own issues. Sometimes bringing healing into them is not easy but it must be done.


This is a continuing discussion. More tomorrow.

Breakfast:-  Banana and Strawberry with plain yoghurt. Water

Snack 1:-  None. I have been writing and time ceases to exist. 

Lunch:-  Strawberry  tea. 4 corn thins and peanut butter. Water.

Snack 2:-   Strawberry tea, 

Dinner:-  grilled pork steak with mashed potato, carrot and green beans. lemon, lime & bitters

Snack 3:-  Camomile tea.  4 chocolates, almonds

Drinking:-  Water x 1
Strawberry and Mango Tea, etc. x 3
Coffee, black, unsweetened x 0

Diet lemon, lime & bitters x 1

Daily Goal:-  1.5 lt. or 5 - 6 large cups *no*

Exercise:-  15 minutes walk *yes/no*
5 minutes cross-trainer *no*

Reporting Back ..........

How I did I do?


I spent too much time on the computer. Much of it was spent writing and that wasn't a bad thing.


I also watched a live Catch The Fire meeting for 3 hours although I did snooze toward the end. I wish I had access to unlimited internet. 6 days to go and I've only got enough thingies to do email and hopefully Blogger.


I hope I sleep better tonight.


I did not sleep well last night so was not the best I could have been today.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comments on surgery. I would love people to try lowcarb seriously before this but I also realise that some people are beyond this - their bodies are too sick and sometimes surgery is the only option. I just hate it being used as an easy way out when in fact those who have it still have to work hard to keep the weight off.

    Good on you being wheat free.

    ReplyDelete