Wednesday, January 18, 2012

DAY 18 - 16TH DAY WHEAT AND GLUTEN FREE - 6TH DAY NO COFFEE

DSC04669

Weight:-  7.30 am  - ?


My last weight check was 114 kg/251 lbs. Next check Jan. 28th.

Breakfast:-  Banana and strawberries with honey yoghurt. Strawberry tea. water

Snack 1:-  and
Lunch:-  Strawberry  tea. water, plate with gherkins, cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, thin corn wafer crackers with  roasted capsicum dip which also had cashews and parmesan. Very yummy and as spicy as I can handle. 

Snack 2:-   Strawberry tea, water and finished of the crackers and dip.

Dinner:-  Salad of beef, lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomato, onion, carrot and red capsicum. Honey Mustard dressing
Strawberry tea

Snack 3:-  water.  almonds 

Drinking:-  Water x 4
Strawberry and Mango Tea, etc x 4
Coffee, black, unsweetened x 0

Diet lemon, lime & bitters x 0

Daily Goal:-  1.5 lt. or 5 - 6 large cups *yes*

Exercise:-  15 minutes walk *yes/no*
5 minutes cross-trainer *no*

Reporting Back ..........

How I did I do?


I am very tired today. Not so much sleepy tired but physically tired from yesterday so will rest mostly. I didn't even feel much like breakfast so it was about 10.30 am before I ate.


I wish I wasn't quite so weary. It's a beautiful day and the sun is going to be very warm. We have a light breeze so should keep the temperature comfortable for me. Not sure about a walk though as I don't do full sun very well and as I said I do not need to stress my body too much today.


This wheat/gluten free and no coffee is becoming a habit, although this morning I was glad there were no cappuccino sachets in the house because that's what I'd have made. I could do with a caffeine hit but not going there. 


I believe it's a myth that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. Certainly that was never long enough for me. Today I found a website that suggests there is quite a variation with a general average of 66 days. That means for some things it can take much longer, maybe 6 months perhaps?


Another article in similar vein says the following 

The average time to reach maximum automaticity 
was 66 days, although this varied greatly between 
participants from 18 days to a predicted 254 days 
(assuming the still rising rate of change in 
automaticity at the study end were to be 
continued beyond the study's 84 days). This is 
much longer than most previous estimates of the 
time taken to acquire a new habit

Anyway for now I'll go with 66 days. I have a long way to go before I can expect to not want to go right on back to default foods. Meantime I am retraining my brain a little bit each day.


More interesting websites about forming new habits. 18 tricks   I will ignore the 1 month to success bit because I know I take much longer to set new habits.
What about this comment taken from here 
Forming new habits isn’t hard, nor does it require a lot of willpower. The problem is with our approach to habit-formation.

And what about this statement from  About.com http://ergonomics.about.com/od/ergonomicbasics/f/form_good_habit.htm
 Making a good habit is the same as making a bad habit. The brain is amoral when it comes to habits. 
 Forming new habits has turned into an interesting study. I've done enough for now but I'm beginning to get the picture. 


There is a period of serious focus which includes carrying out the new activity daily or regularly according to schedule, preferably not missing a schedule, and being prepared for the long haul. It might become automatic after 66 consecutive days but some habits, or some people will take 254 days.... that's doing it right for 34 weeks and 6 days. That would be doing the same thing, day after day, with no more than the occasional single day missed, from January 1st until September 28th and that's in a leap year.


Most of us have to break this down into small bites. 


This helps me to understand why some people are more successful than others. Either they are less resistant to forming new habits and can establish them within a comparatively short period or.....
They are consistent day after day regardless of how they feel and they never give up before the habit is ingrained into their lifestyle. 


My admiration for successful people is growing in leaps and bounds.


Later.


A short afternoon snooze and I felt much better.


Quiet day and I'm ready for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Our 5 y/o granddaughter is gluten intolerant. At first we thought her 2 y/o sister was not affected. However, she was biting at daycare. Daughter took her off gluten two weeks ago. No more biting incidents.

    Amazing how many people, like you, it affects.

    ReplyDelete